Saturday, 1 December 2012

Recently, I have mostly been eating Scotch Broth

I enjoy making soups because they are so easy and tasty. I found some diced lamb on offer and the weather being grotty (there's a Scottish word for it) I thought I'd make Scotch Broth or my take on it.


A bit of cooking oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 leek, washed and cut into discs
4 oz carrots, peeled and cut into pound coin discs
4oz parsnip or swede, peeled and cut into pound coin discs
10 oz diced lamb, or about 1lb of neck of lamb or mutton
4 oz red lentils, rinsed and soaked in cold water overnight
4 oz pearl barley, rinsed
2 bay leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 tsp crushed black peppercorns
4 pints lamb stock or water if using neck - add salt to taste

Put the oil in a large lidded pan on a gentle heat on the hob. I use a maslin pan bought in Chorlton-cum-Hardy twenty odd years ago.

Add the onion, leek and celery, stir and replace the lid. Allow to cook for a few minutes.

Repeat with the lamb, root vegetables and lentils and pearl barley.

Add the thyme and bay leaves and pepper and stock. Lid on and allow to simmer very gently for two hours until the pearl barley is tender. Season to taste.

This broth tastes even better reheated the next day and doing that gives you an opportunity to easily remove the lamb fat that will have set on the surface overnight if you have used neck of lamb.

You can add finely chopped parsley if you wish.



.

2 comments:

Thud said...

I'll give it a whirl.

Brian said...

Squire Thud,

Hope you enjoy it. If you post a recipe for Lobscouse on Over The Water I'll definitely try that. Isn't Winter brilliant for proper food?