Sunday, 5 April 2009

Scarifying The Lawn And Other Stuff

I haven't been blogging lately because I've been rather busy with Ebay and taking advantage of the good weather by spring cleaning the garden. Thursday was especially busy as I rented an electric lawn scarifier (no, it's not telling the grass that sheep will eat it alive) to remove thatch (dead grass) and moss. I collected a compacted 210 litres in the council green waste recycling bin (better to hot compost it than turn into peat in my small scale cold compost bins). The lawns look bare but already new grass is shooting and, as a bonus, the blades on the scarifier have helped aerate the soil so drainage will be better. And all that for only £17.95 from the local hire shop. Next jobs are sprinkling sequestrated iron around the rhodos and azaleas (need a still day for that) and tidying the strawberry bed of dead leaves, weeds and surplus runners (but sink a few pots under a few healthy runners to get free strong plants). Oh, and tidy up the frog bath. And try to stop myself sitting too long just watching everything in the garden bursting into life. (Don't buy garden furniture!) And Gardeners World is back to pre-Monty Don practical tips top form.
All in all a great way to spend time and much more rewarding that reading and writing about scum lowlife MPs, bankers, Bono, Madonna, Jade Goody, $ trillion flim-flams. And the nonsensical laws in Afghanistan (that's worth dying for) and government murder of sailors in HMS Thetis. Only trust people with mud under their fingernails whose reading includes seed packets.
I've just remembered finding a very dopey bumblebee at dusk a week ago. I put a dab of honey on a saucer and carefully lifted the bee onto the saucer. Within a couple of minutes her mouth was stuck in the honey and her 1/8" long tongue was lapping it back. Half an hour later the honey was inside the bee and with a gentle prod to buzz wings in order to generate heat I went inside. Next morning Miss Bee was waiting on the kitchen windowsill and she has followed me into the shed or flown up to me every day since. Look after bees and they will repay the kindness.

5 comments:

CherryPie said...

I have never heard of a pet bee before. There was one buzzing around outside my window this morning!

Gallimaufry said...

I wouldn't claim to have a pet bee just a functioning honey addict. Seriously, I believe that bees can recognise vibrations in speech and other sounds and so react positively to people who are good to them. It doesn't do any harm to talk to them. Controversially, I reckon that mobile phone radio waves harm them (eg sudden colony collapse syndrome in honey bees).

CherryPie said...

Bees fascinate me, I love the way they work together. The hovering bee (a bit like a traffic warden) that marks the way to the pollen.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that radio waves upset there rhythms.

Gallimaufry said...

This is an interesting link:
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/ahb/inf4.html

Could the mobile phone microwaves be affecting bees in a similar way that low frequency sound waves are alleged to cause cetaceans to beach themselves?

Thud said...

Bloody hell...I need to get busy!