Tuesday, 9 December 2008

On Being Treated Like Shit

This is my first Ebay post. It describes how I was shabbily treated today in the local sub-post office where I have spent over £5,000 in postage in the last three years and have helped to keep open despite the wishes of the idiots who mismanage the Post Office.
I went in this morning at 10:30 with six packets to be sent. There were three customers ahead of me and one assistant on. The first customer had decided to cash up twenty bags of loose change from a church christingle service or something on Sunday. While she was being served the first parcel collection of the day was removed by a Royal Mail driver. The next wanted to send assorted size cards but hadn't sorted them out and also various cards to abroad. The third wanted to buy a card and some sweets. When I finally got to the counter at 11:00 there was a queue of about a dozen people behind me stretching to the door. Being an unselfish sort, I suggested that I leave my bag of packets with some cash to be stamped when the workflow eased off and another assistant was due in. No problem, give me your phone number and we'll call you so you can pay by debit card which we prefer. So I departed, thinking that I would be back as soon as the last person in the queue had been served. I had saved the people in the queue five minutes' waiting.
Fast forward to 3:00 pm and I have another packet to send and still no phone call from the post office. So I walk in and find six people in front and within a couple of minutes another six behind. The Royal Mail driver comes in for the second parcel collection. The assistant opens the door to hand the sacks out, sees me and says "I'll serve you right after Glenys" As there were five possible contenders for that title, I said "Don't worry, call me when you a free." I don't like to queue jump: I'm not an OAP.
So at 4:30 pm the phone rings "Come up immediately." I go to the post office to find my packets haven't been stamped yet - I have to put them on the scales myself. The owner says that when the volume of customers eases off she will be able to have lunch. Yes, I have worked without a break many times in a Jobcentre as well but keep that to myself as I did not profit from the number of customers I saw. So after six hours' delay I was finally able to message my customers that their items had been posted.
Was I right to feel that I had been treated like shit? Or is this par for the course for people without sharp elbows? The problem is that having been treated for depression, were I to assert my rights, doubtless the Police firearms team would peremptorily murder me in order to get back to the office for their paperwork, tea and bacon sandwiches.

8 comments:

haddock said...

does the old woman who searches for ages for "the right money" come into your post office ?.... she does in mine... and the petrol station and the supermarket.... she is somewhat taken aback when I say to her.... "just give her a bloody note and hurry up, they have got wheel barrows full of change out the back."
I enjoy being old and curmudgeonly, it's expected from over 60 males.... much like fishing around in purses is from 80 year old women

Gallimaufry said...

Yep, she was in this morning handing over £1.35 to pay for a 99p card and a stamp. Another minute to find the penny while the queue looks celingwards and curses her sotto voce.

CherryPie said...

It is the system again isn't it and that boils down to government targets etc...

Wrong wrong wrong!

Gallimaufry said...

Alas, blaming this on the "system" does not wash in this case. It's a matter of fairness which is why I thought that " I would be back as soon as the last person in the queue had been served." That's reasonable. The gentle, adaptable and sensible concept of Fairness has been stamped on by the rigid, moronic implementation of "rights".
As Simone Weil taught one can't have rights without their corresponding duties eg the right to life must be matched by the duty not to kill.

William Gruff said...

Sounds like my local Post Office, which, until I heard had changed hands I stopped using, so unpleasant were the old owners.

I recognise all those customers you and Haddock have described.

James Higham said...

Kalashnikov or HK UMP.

Thud said...

Your sense of fairness and decency marks you out as something of a rarity nowadays I'm afraid...so now you either join in at the sharp end of what passes for society or stay true to yourself.

Gallimaufry said...

Many thanks for your kind comment Thud. I was taught to set a good example to others. I hope that things will change and we will all realise that if enough people put others first then the world will be better and gentler and fairer. I have taken plenty of knocks so I should be able to take plenty more.