Tuesday, 9 September 2008

Potting On Clematis Cuttings

I took advantage of the good weather this morning to pot on the twenty or so clematis cuttings that I took about six weeks ago. The cuttings were from semi-ripe material measuring about 2.5 inches below a leaf node. I trimmed the leaves, put a couple of inch long shallow vertical cuts into the lower end and dipped the cutting into hormone rooting gel, tapping off the surplus before placing four cuttings around the edge of three inch pots filled with a mix of 50:50 seed and cutting compost and horticultural grit. I gave the pots a good watering with rainwater then put freezer bags over them to create a micro climate, securing with postman's rubber bands. They then went in the greenhouse. I checked the pots every fortnight for rot and rooting from the base, turned the bags inside out and blew into them to boost carbon dioxide and resecured them over the pots. Anyway, today the roots were poking through the pot holes so I put the well rooted cuttings into 6 inch pots with cutting compost and drainage crocks and split bamboos to climb up. another good watering and back into the greenhouse for growing on.
I believe the hard knocks I have experienced in my life have made me better qualified to propagate clematis. Tomorrow I'm taking lavatera cuttings. Like Gordon Brown I'm getting on with the job. But I've got sixteen young clematis plants thriving and he's got Ed Balls and David Miliband. Two words pal: compost heap.

2 comments:

sally in norfolk said...

One day when I have time I will do more well some gardening....

Gallimaufry said...

Well you might find more time if you didn't make so much jam! ;-) All this rain gets me down because I have to keep off the soil (heavy clay) otherwise it turns into slip and then concrete when it dries out. Thank goodness I planted plenty of drought-resistant plants! :-( Still they say that 50% of gardening should be sitting down and looking - if one can find a dry bench.