Thursday, 18 September 2008

Lawn Edging

Since Monday I have mostly been lawn edging.
The Brown flood of rain has caused the edge between lawn and border to fill in with soil (not good for the mower blades) and get annoyingly ragged and weedy. As it's been dry for the past five days I took the opportunity to do this chore that I thought would take a morning at most. Unfortunately, I must have the estimating skills of an investment banker because I'm just two-thirds done. It's knackering work because I've had to transplant or pot up self-setters* as I work so I admire and envy Toby Buckland's excellent and effortless-looking demonstration available on iPlayer until Friday. (from 22:40). The good thing about gardening knackeredness is that it is compensated by the brilliant smell of the soil and the wonderful assortment of greens that one sees close up . It's a good job well done and the sight of so many earthworms in the friable soil that was once heavy clay proves that mulching with homemade compost in the Autumn is really worthwhile.

*The cheapest and strongest plants so no way do they go on the compost heap.

5 comments:

James Higham said...

And do you use an electric lawn edger?

Gallimaufry said...

Alas, I am a slow uptaker so far beind the curve that I'm waiting for the leading edge of the next one. No, long or short handled shears for me as I don't like the fiddliness of unclogging lstrimmer line cartridges etc. Plus I like to minimise noise. But that's just my personal prejudice.

CherryPie said...

When you have finished would you like to come and do mine? My garden is in a sorry state at the moment!

Gallimaufry said...

Why not turn your garden into a wildlife garden and just trim up a small area for sitting out to watch what's going on. Buddleias, berrying bushes, brambles and nettles are ideal food and cover sources and a small shallow sided pond (without fish) are easy to provide. Don't forget a small logpile.
Don't think all our garden is as neat as the lawn!

CherryPie said...

Sounds like a plan, it is getting that way already!