Wednesday, 10 September 2008

Large Hadron Collider

I'm not going to comment on the Large Hardon Collider except to say I hope Gordon Brown doesn't send a letter of encouragement to its British team members - no need to worry about bog awful weather or the credit crunch if the curse of Jonah helps create a black hole on Wednesday.
I can't wait for the Horizon programme about the results although I predict that a new, very small particle will be discovered to upset all the carefully crafted theories. It will be dubbed the miliband because it came out of nowhere and is both useless and annoying.
But when the first schedule of experiments are completed I bags the collider to test on a large scale something I and my mates last attempted some 35 or so years ago. The Dinky or Corgi collision experiment was great when we slammed cars into each other head on in the playground. But a million mile an hour closing speed would produce brilliant telly with all the bits flying off - and repeating the exercise with Airfix kits dowsed with flaming lighter fuel is BAFTA worthy- beat that Top Gear.
Did I grow up? Probably not, but I had more fun than those kids who never played with their toys and kept the boxes in mint condition (boxes of all sorts were cannibalised to make garages, space-stations or whatever ) to be sold for silly sums at auction.

7 comments:

CherryPie said...

Mint condition boxes are very sad!!!

RE: the Hadron Collider, enjoying a glass of wine just in case. Thinking about it I should have opened the Champagne ;-)

Gallimaufry said...

Could someome message me if the world is swallowed into a black hole because I tend to miss all the big events as they happen - I had a lovely view from this grassy knoll in Dallas Texas and, thinking the motorcade wouldn't be passing for a few minutes, went off to get an ice cream. When I got back two men with guns and binoculars were standing in my place. And then there was a lot of noise, shouting and running and someone knocked the cone out of my hand. What a day!

Putz said...

oh my, a lot of noise and shouting, in dallas, and running. and you lost your ice cream con, i wonder how much else america lost that day, maybe not much

CherryPie said...

I didn't message you because today has been quite boring ;-)

Gallimaufry said...

I'm alive! How could today be boring after yesterday's post about nice Mr Ingram - bet his garden looks lovely after his post-ministerial gardening leave - is it three months or six months between leaving government and starting a job? Strange that Tamsin Dunwoody is still unemployed - I thought ex-MPs, AMs and MSPs would be snapped up by the private sector or does that only apply to former ministers who supervised contract awarding/know who to liaise with?

CherryPie said...

Well after that comment I did get an email about Qinetiq shares...

Gallimaufry said...

Well I'm sure that the people at the top deserved a 200 times (or whatever it was) return on their investments for (allegedly) helping to sell something at fire sale prices.