Wednesday, 20 August 2008

H is Pronounced Aitch

One thing that makes me grind my teeth and reach for my metaphorical revolver (don't make me unlock the armoury to get my allegorical rocket-propelled grenade launcher) is the mispronunciatian of H as haitch. Aaaaaaaaaaaargh! Or, for the benefit of those people who say haitch, and sadly there are increasing numbers on the once dependable BBC, Haaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
The letter H or h is pronounced aitch. F isn't feff, L isn't lell, M isn't mem, N isn't nen, S isn't sess so why pronounce H as haitch?

7 comments:

haddock said...

it is spoken of as haitch by the same knobs as put a line through a seven and talk of one pence pieces.... 'those ones'

CherryPie said...

Yes it winds me up big time too!!!

Gallimaufry said...

And those people who say "head up" instead of "head".

TBRRob said...

I believe this may be the fault of my generation -- again.

Aileni said...

Just don't come to Ireland.

Gallimaufry said...

Last time I was in NI a couple of John Mills as Michael in Ryan's Daughter looky-likeys standing on a street corner screeched something similar at me. I bade the "ladies" a sailor's farewell.
My Granny and Granddad came from Cos Antrim and Donegal respect-ively and they never said haitch.

Calum said...

Haitch hurts my brain!!!!